The origins of baccarat are still a subject of debate. According to some researchers, baccarat was invented in Italy in the 15th century. Felix Falguiere is the man whom we must thank for being able to enjoy this amazing game. Back in the day, the game was called “baccara” which meant “zero” in Italian. Why zero? As you’re about to learn from this tutorial, when you play baccarat, 10s and face cards are counted as zero points.
The game’s popularity surged in the 19th century when it became the favorite pastime of the French nobility. By the way, many gamblers first learn about the baccarat card game from the iconic James Bond movies! Indeed, baccarat is widely known as the favorite game of the legendary Agent 007. Curious to try it?
How is baccarat different from other card games?
Baccarat takes a special place in the category of card games. Unlike poker or blackjack, baccarat is a game of chance. When playing other card games, you need to learn winning systems, think several steps ahead, and make strategic decisions. To win at baccarat game, you don’t need to break your head over sophisticated strategies. In fact, it’s a guessing game. Your task is to guess which hand - the Banker’s or the Player’s - will win.
This makes it a great option for beginners who are eager to explore card games but at the same time are intimidated by the complexity of blackjack or poker. It’s a slow-paced, relaxing game with a reasonable casino advantage. To boost your winning odds at online baccarat in Australia, you need to memorize a few simple rules and - of course - remain disciplined about how you're spending your bankroll.
How to play baccarat
Baccarat is a really easy game to play. It’s nothing like blackjack or poker in terms of complexity. If you’ve mastered either of these casino games, you won’t have the slightest trouble learning to play baccarat! Like any game, baccarat in Australia starts with the gameplay and basic rules. Baccarat is played with 6 to 8 decks. Depending on the number of decks used, the betting options in baccarat may have varying house edges.
Let’s see the sequence of steps for playing baccarat:
- You have three betting options: Banker’s hand, Player’s hand, and Tie. Once the bets have been made, the dealer starts dealing cards.
- The dealer deals 2 cards to themselves and 2 cards to the players. The cards are dealt face up.
- The hand values are calculated and announced. Face cards and 10s are worth 0 points. Ace is counted as 1 point. Other cards are worth their numerical value.
- The hand which comes closest to nine wins.
- If your hand exceeds 9 and the total is a two-digit number, you need to remove the first digit to get the hand value. Here is an example. Say, you’ve been dealt an 8 and a 5. The hand total is 13. Now you drop the first digit. Done! Your hand total is 3.
Online baccarat rules
Once you’ve wrapped your head around the basic gameplay, it’s time to learn the additional rules. We recommend memorizing them by heart so that you don’t have to consult a cheatsheet during the game. This way, you’ll be able to concentrate on the gameplay.
- If the Player’s or the Banker’s total is 8 or 9, it’s called a “natural win”. The Player with this score wins the game. In this case, the game is over, and no more cards are dealt. Bettors get their bets back.
- If there is no natural win, participants may take an additional card. However, this depends on their hand. If the Player has the total of 8 or 9, they stand, i.e. they’re not allowed to take an additional card. The same goes for the total of 6 or 7. If the Player’s hand totals 5 or less, the Player can take a third card or stand. If the Banker’s hand totals 8 or 9, the Banker wins without taking an extra card.
- If the Player stands, the Banker takes an extra card if their total is 0-5. If the Banker’s total is 6 or 7, the Banker stands. Other scenarios depend on which card the Player has drawn. For example, if the Player takes a 2 or 3, the Baker takes a third card if their total is 0-2 and stands with 3-7. The other scenarios are illustrated in the table below.
Baccarat game has three possible outcomes: Player win, Banker win, and tie. Each of them is paid differently. If, for example, you bet on the Player's hand and it turned out to be the winner, you get paid 1 to 1 (even money).
If, however, you bet on the Dealer’s hand and it wins, you get paid 1 to 1, less 5%. So in reality you win 95% of your initial bet. Why 95%? Because online casinos often charge a 5% commission on the Banker bet. As you can see, the Player bet is more profitable than the Banker bet. At the same time, the Banker bet is more likely to win. It comes with the house edge of 1.06%, while the Player bet has a 1.24% house edge.
And what about the tie? The tie is announced when the Banker’s and Player’s hands have the same value. Neither hand wins or loses. Those who wagered on the Player’s or the Banker’s hand get their bets back. Those who wagered on the Tie get a whopping 8:1 (or 9:1) payout. The tie is the most profitable outcome in baccarat. However, it comes with a draconic house edge of 14.4%.
Winning tips for online baccarat card game
Below we’ve put together smart tips that will help you maximize your profits when playing online baccarat.
- Always bet on the Banker hand. According to statistics, the Banker wins in more than 50% of all online baccarat games in Australia. In other words, you can’t go wrong with betting on the Bank. There is a good chance that you’ll catch a winning streak and start locking in nice profits.
- Never bet on the Tie. Avoid the temptation of betting on the high-profit Tie option. This bet has a huge casino advantage and it wins next to never!
- Manage your bankroll wisely. Set your budget in advance. Once you’ve depleted your budget, call it a day and close the gambling site.
- Determine your win limit. It’s a good practice to set the stop win at x2 your initial budget.
- Finally, be sure to choose a licensed, reliable baccarat casino that provides a safe and enjoyable gambling experience to all casino fans.
FAQ on online baccarat
Is baccarat a tricky game?
- Absolutely not. It’s an easy-to-learn, laid-back card game that relies purely on luck and your gut feeling. You make your bet before the game begins and can’t change your mind in the process.
Can I play baccarat game for free?
- Of course. On the top Australian online casinos, you can play a variety of baccarat games in demo mode. Once you’re ready to switch to real-money mode, you’ll need to sign up at the branded online casino AU.
How do I increase my winning chances at online baccarat?
- Our advice is to always wager on the Banker. Out of all baccarat game bets, this betting option has the lowest casino edge (slightly above 1%). Otherwise, since baccarat is a game of chance, you can’t actually do anything to boost your winning odds. All you’re left to do is to listen to your intuition and keep your fingers crossed!
Is there a working winning strategy for baccarat game?
- Baccarat is a guessing game. There is no way to predict which hand will win, and no strategy can help you with that. Be sure to avoid swindlers stating that they have effective strategies for baccarat game. If you’re into winning strategies, you'll be better off playing blackjack or poker.