Goal of the game
Live baccarat has the exact same goal as online and land-based baccarat. When playing live baccarat, you need to collect a hand that totals 9 points or comes as close as possible to 9.
The typical live baccarat table can accommodate up to 14 players. However, the number of players may vary depending on the casino and live baccarat variation.
The two main participants of the game are the Banker (Dealer) and the Player. The dealer deals two cards to themselves and two cards to each player. In live baccarat, players can place their bets on the Player, and/or Bank, and/or Tie.
The player who collects the hand of 9 points is announced the winner. If Player A scores 8 points and Player B scores less, Player A wins anyway. If neither the Banker nor the Player collects 8 or 9 points on their first hand, then the Players are allowed to take a third card.
At a live baccarat table, all 14 seats are numbered, while the number 13 is skipped due to superstition. You can take any place around the table. Your position at the table doesn’t affect the course or outcome of the game. The live game of baccarat is managed by one dealer. (In some cases, there can be up to 3 dealers at the same table.)
Card values and gameplay
- All face cards are worth 0 points.
- Ace is worth 1 point.
- All cards from 2 to 9 are counted as their numerical values (for example, a 3 is worth 3 points).
Now let’s see how to play baccarat step by step.
- Players sitting at the table place bets on the outcome of the game.
- The Dealer and the Players receive two cards each.
- Hand values are calculated.
- The Player stands if they have 9 or 10 points.
- The Player stands if they have 6 or 7 points.
- If the player stands, the Dealer must also stand on 6 points, or hit (take another card) on 5 points or less.
- If the Player has the total of 5 or less, they need to take another card.
- If the Dealer has the total of 2 or less, then need to take another card.
The Dealer must take an additional card if they have the hand of 5 or less. If the Dealer has the hand of 7 or higher, they must stand.
Payouts in live baccarat:
- If your Player bet wins, you get paid 1 to 1.
- If your Banker bet wins, you get 0.95 to 1, minus a 5% commission.
- If your Tie bet wins, your payout is 8 to 1.