About the poker game
There is no unanimous opinion on when the game of poker was invented. While some researchers trace it down to a mysterious domino card game played thousands years ago in China, others argue that it originated from the Persian game called “As Nas”. The game of poker as we know it today appeared in the 19th century in New Orleans, United States of America. Invented by French settlers, the game was originally referred to as “poques” and was played with a 20-card deck. Later, as poker was becoming increasingly popular, the standard 52-card deck was introduced.
It’s curious to know that the first online poker card game was played in 1998. That date marked a new era in the history of poker, giving birth to a now vast online poker community, legendary poker rooms and tournaments. Nowadays, depending on their preferences and budget, gamblers can play online poker game for real money and for fun.
Best online poker games
There’s a plethora of online poker games that you can explore. They vary by poker game rules, number of cards in a hand, and other parameters. Let’s review the most popular types of poker games out there.
- Texas Hold’em is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most popular poker casino game nowadays, not in the least thanks to the World Series of Poker. With its straightforward and intuitive gameplay, Texas Hold’em is a great way to start your acquaintance with poker.
- Omaha Poker, or simply Omaha, is the second-popular poker game among casino enthusiasts. It’s fun, exciting, and dynamic. If you’re looking for an action-packed poker game, here you have it!
- Omaha Hi-Lo is a very unusual poker variation. Like Texas Hold’em, Omaha Hi-Lo uses hole and community cards. Players have to make not one but two winning hands (one high hand and one low hand, hence the name of the game).
- Five Card Draw is loved by gamblers for its simplicity. It’s the first poker variation that most gamblers try out. The best thing is that there are no complicated strategies involved. It’s the best poker game to play online.
- Seven Card Stud is the old school poker variation which has passed the peak of its popularity. This game of poker is pretty sophisticated - among other things, due to the fact that players are using as many as seven cards to make a winning hand. If you’re a rookie, you should avoid this game for the time being and concentrate on less challenging poker games online.
- Badugi is, hands down, one of the most exotic poker casino games. If you’re bored with the traditional poker gameplay, this game will be a breath of fresh air for you. Instead of the usual five, players have to use four cards to form a winning hand.
- Deuce to Seven Triple Draw is a fun deviation from the classic poker. In this gambling game, your goal is to make the lowest hand. It’s a textbook example of a lowball poker game.
Which online poker game to choose? What are the best poker games for rookies? These questions are ubiquitous among beginners. Our advice is to focus on simpler poker variants, such as Five Card Draw or Texas Hold’em, and then work your way towards more sophisticated games - if, of course, you have a taste for more complexity! Choose the best online poker game and embark on a fantastic journey through the world of poker!
How to boost your poker performance
Poker is a challenging game that requires a lot of patience and a great deal of skill as well. Allow us to share with you a few insights into how to play poker games in elite online casinos.
- The most important thing to understand about poker is that it’s a fusion between a luck-based game and a skill-based game. It’s true that your performance depends greatly on the hand that you’re dealt. At the same time, what cards you have is not the only factor that determines the outcome of the poker game. It’s also what you do with them that’s important. Your success is determined by your actions and decisions. Every seasoned poker player knows that a good hand alone is not enough for a win. The same is true for a weak hand. If you see that your cards are not as strong as you'd like them to be, it’s still in your power to swing the odds in your favor.
- When playing online poker games for real money, start with low wagers. This way, you won’t feel stressed because you’re risking too much money. Even if things go south and you lose, this loss won’t blow a hole in your gambling budget. Also, this will allow you to get a better understanding of the situation and assess your competition. Once you’ve chosen the strategy to stick to, you can start increasing your bets.
- Avoid playing poker games when you feel angry, sad or frustrated. This is actually true for any casino game. Negative emotions will make everything worse, undermining your gambling performance and leading to devastating losses. If you can't find the moral strength to deal with your negative emotions, be sure to take a break from gambling. This kind of self-control is a big step towards becoming a good poker player.
- Take all the time you need to make a decision. If you’re a beginner, thinking about many things at once can be hard, if not impossible. Forget about such a thing as “acting automatically”. This reckless behavior may cost you a lot of money and nerves.
- Another great piece of advice is not to be shy. You can’t win if you're constantly choosing to check or fold, right? Being overly cautious can deteriorate your performance and self-confidence. Learn to be bold and assertive. Don’t be afraid to raise your bet when the situation is favorable and move forward with the game. Take chances more often. This is true even when you’re still training your skills in demo mode.
- When deciding how much to bet, rely on your hand. This is the main guiding factor that must determine the amount of your wage. The rule of thumb is this: if your hand is strong, go ahead and place a bigger bet. If you’re not quite happy with your cards, be sure to check yourself and place a small bet. If you see that your hand is too weak to compete in the game, don’t hesitate to fold it. This is the best tactic to minimize your losses.
Poker tournaments are popular among both poker rookies and professional players. It’s an event where poker players compete with each other for a prize pool. Tournaments can feature thousands upon thousands of participants. To take part in this event, you need to pay an entry fee which is called a “buy-in”. Tournaments without an entry fee are called freerolls.
Poker tournaments are a legitimate way to make money. In fact, professional poker players manage to make a good living off poker tournaments. The most famous poker tournament is, hands down, the World Series of Poker with a staggering buy-in of $10.000. But don’t worry, other tournaments have lower buy-ins.
There are several poker sites that hold the world-known online poker tournaments where poker fans can compete playing Texas Hold’em poker, Omaha, Stud Poker, and other variants. How long a poker tournament lasts depends on the type of the tournament, number of players, and other factors. Whole sit-and-go tournaments usually run between 20 and 5- minutes, multi-table events can take up to several hours. Tournaments are an excellent opportunity to hone your skills playing poker games online for real money and make some cash along the way.